Last Updated on
Arthritis Joint Pain- An Overview
Arthritis is commonly known as pain in the knees, fingers, hips, elbows any place in the body where there is a joint between bones. It can be very painful. This is because joints are surrounded by many nerves and the nerves are needed to make the complicated joints work properly. It is one of the common ageing effects suffered by many, which is caused due to the degeneration of bones and cartilages. It is a painful condition commonly observed in the major joints along with swelling and inflammation.
Sometimes unhealthy lifestyle and obesity also invite arthritis at an early age. Both men & women suffer from arthritis; generally, women being prone to this disease after menopause. Among a thousand types of arthritis, the most prevailing ones are gout, osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid arthritis
Gout – This is a painful disease that causes swelling and raises uric acid in joint part of the body. The first cap hit the big toe and makes it swell up after that it moves to the, ankle, knees and elbow.
Osteoarthritis – This type is a part of the natural ageing of joints. With ageing, cartilages lose power to restore itself after regular wear and tear and are lost in no time. This exposes the indiscreet bones to friction and erosion as a result of it. This reason much pain and inflammation.
Rheumatoid Arthritis – This type of arthritis is prevalent among comparatively younger people. It occurs when a misdirected immune system attacks and erodes healthy joint tissues.
Common symptoms pointing towards Arthritis are
- Swelling & inflammation of joints.
- Moderate to severe pain in the joints
- Tenderness and stiffness in the joints restricting free movements.
- Formation of toe in case of Gout.
- Fever in case of Rheumatoid arthritis
- Swing in the hormonal levels
- Tenderness in the synovial joints
- Higher levels of uric acid in blood
10 Best Home Remedies for Arthritis Joint Pain
Apart from the common treatment of anti-inflammatory drugs, home remedies provide an alternate treatment of arthritis which is no less effective than the drugs.
- Raw potato juice gives amazing outcomes in treating arthritis. Thin slices of potato soaked in a glass of water overnight, which should be drunk early in the morning with the sunrise.
- Lime juice has the unique property of being able to dissolve the uric acid crystals in the body before they can build up to dangerous levels resulting in gout symptoms.
- Hot water tub baths, application of hot and cold packs are few simple therapies which can be very useful in relieving arthritis joint pain at the initial as well as at later stage.
- Reduced eating of protein, sugar and other processed foods is essential in treating arthritis.
- Drinking a cup of juice of carrot, beetroot, celery and other leafy vegetables is a good home remedy for arthritis.
- Light exercises like walking, swimming, aerobics and some yoga poses and exercises can maintain the joint movement and relieve pain and discomfort that occurs when arthritis gets triggered in the body.
- The herb Angelica is the supplement of anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic and pain relieving constituents that are very effective in reducing the discomforts of arthritis.
- Many herbal remedies involve methodical preparation but with ginger, all you need to do is cut off a sliver and apply it to the area. If you decide to place it on the skin, you can wrap the area in a flannel cloth, which also has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Simply adding the Turmeric powder to your regular food is supposed to provide the anti-inflammatory benefits to your body.
- A great oil massage can be an extremely efficient tool, massaging the painful joints with the essential oils of Juniper, Rosemary, sage; Thyme diluted with olive oil in the ratio of 1:10 provides instant relief to the pain. Rubbing the joints with castor oil is also beneficial in treating this disorder
Ayurvedic Treatments for Arthritis Joint Pain
Ayurveda gives different kinds of treatments for different kinds of joint pains. When a patient comes to an Ayurvedic doctor, the first thing to do is to determine the cause of the pain. Depending on that, the medicines are prescribed.
- Rheumatic arthritis is recognized as Ama Vata in Ayurveda. For its cure, first, the ama is removed by fasting and purgation if needed. Then a mixture of punarnava, galangala, , Guggulu and garlic is administered in dosages of one gram every day. Dashamoolarishta is also given in 15ml quantity thrice a day for three weeks.
- If the arthritis is due to trauma, then Vishagarbha taila is given for external application over the region where the joint pain is felt. The patient is prescribed Rasnadi Guggulu and Guduchi tablets, which are to be taken in a quantity of 250mg three or four times a day with water.
- In people with age above 50 years, a type of arthritis known as osteoarthritis is observed. This is known as Ashtigata Vata. For this condition, Pravala Panchamrita or Lakshadi Guggulu is prescribed. The dosages are 125mg two times a day for one month and 250mg thrice a day for three months respectively.
Dietary Treatment for Arthritis Joint Pain
- Ginger and garlic are good for treating joint pains. All bitter tastes are good for arthritis. Thus, people could consume bitter gourd and bitter drumsticks without any worry.
- Consuming more citrus fruits, grapes, milk, whole grains supply the body with essential nutrients and minerals which aid in combating arthritis
- Constipation can aggravate the pains. Thus foods that are hard to digest must be avoided. This extends to protein-rich foods such as pulses. Foods must not be fried so as not to vitiate the vata further.
Arthritic people should steer clear of cool temperatures. In the winter months, avoid going outside whenever possible. When you must go out, bundle up and try to keep problem areas insulated.
When it comes to arthritis prevention is worth a pound of cure, but flare-ups are inevitable no matter how careful you are. With that in mind, it helps to know that there are cost-effective, common sense home remedies that can help you alleviate the severe pain associated with arthritis so you can get on with the business of living.