Last Updated on
Many women suffers from different infections at some point of time in their entire life and Yeast Infection or Vaginal Yeast infection is one of the frustrating infections. Although if you can take care of many hygienic steps, still you may suffer from those infections due to other activities. In this article, we would like to focus more on foods to eat to get rid of Yeast infection as it is one of the natural ways to prevent infections.
What is Yeast Infection ?
Simply put, this is an infection caused by yeast. Yeast is a micro-organism that exists in various forms. The root cause of the infection is an overgrowth of a naturally occurring fungus: Candida Albicans. It can be found in humans in small amounts. Yeast or Candida Albicans infection occur very frequently in women, though men and even children may also be affected. The areas of the body most commonly affected are the vagina, in the case of babies – diaper rash, thrush (throat and mouth) and the male genitals.
Common Symptoms of Yeast Infection
Vaginal yeast infection symptoms are- awful Itching, inflammation, swelling, pain when urinating, redness, rashes around the vagina, thick/clumpy white discharge, and painful intercourse, vaginal odour, burning sensation while urination, sex becomes very uncomfortable and even painful etc.
Like all another disease this infection too can be got rid of permanently if you are able to treat the root cause of the infection. With the right diet, you can help your body heal itself from Candida overgrowth and avoid further outbreaks
List of Foods Foods to Eat to Get Rid of Yeast Infection
- Colorful veggies (everything yellow, purple, red and green, like bell peppers, carrots, lettuce, tomatoes)
- Some other vegetables like sweet potatoes, bok choy, celery, romaine lettuce, cabbage, broccoli and spinach
- Sugar-free salad dressings, a limited serving through
- Whole grain and low carb bread, pasta, noodles and rice
- Fresh fruit, such as lemons, apples, limes, oranges, pineapple, berries, melons
- Garlic, onion, olive oil, organic apple cider vinegar, fresh herbs
- Protein in forms of fish, chicken, eggs, turkey (either baked or broiled)
- Soy milk and Yogurt is also of the best natural cures for yeast infection
- A little butter, almond butter, walnuts, almonds, roasted soy nuts and pumpkin seeds, all rich in unsaturated fat
Foods that contain beta-carotene have been found to be good to get rid of vaginal thrush. Carrots, broccoli, apricots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin and mangoes are considered to have the high amount of beta-carotene.
One of the reasons for yeast infection is the imbalance in the pH level in the vagina. Almonds and green juices are good for controlling candida organism. If you balance these foods with protein and vegetables, the chances of developing a food-related yeast infection will drop.
How to prevent Yeast Infection?
Yeast infection occurs because of excessive growth of Candida albicans. If you follow a healthy diet which always keeps a check on the levels of this fungus the infection will never set in. A few preventive measures to stay away from this infection include
- Keep your groin and vaginal area moisture free as far as possible. Do not let sweat accumulate. Trim your private hair short if required
- Washing your underwear with warm water and drying it completely before use. Bathe twice daily and wash your vaginal area with plain water.
- Wear loose fitting clothes so that there is sufficient air circulation in your vaginal area. When you wear tight clothes you sweat more thereby creating an ideal environment for yeast to grow and multiply.
- Limit your intake of sugar and alcohol since yeast thrives on these.
Yeast Infection Food: You Shouldn’t Eat
- A lot of spices, very spicy food won’t be helpful, but rather irritating your already infected tissue
- Beverages such as fruit punch, caffeinated teas and drinks, sodas, colas, sweetened fruit juice, sugared drinks, coffee
- Certain dairy products like cheese, milk, flavoured yoghurt, ice cream
- Peanuts and peanut butter, pistachios
- Meats such as red meat and pork, sandwich meats, salami, bologna, hot dogs and sausage
- White flour bread and products such as hamburger buns and hot dog buns, soda crackers and others, breadsticks, breadcrumb coating.
- Alcohol and fermented foods like beer, ginger ale, cider, soy sauce, most salad dressings
White vegetables like white rice, potatoes, corn grits, and all types of canned veggies, since they lose most of their vitamins in the canning process Sugars, including honey and white sugar.
Get Rid Of Yeast Infections With Iron, Vitamin B And Selenium Supplementation
Studies show that anaemia and iron deficiency are precursors to yeast growth. A good source of iron is the liver. You can also supplement by taking chelated iron that the body absorbs easily, avoid the ferrous sulfate form of iron since it causes constipation. A woman needs about 8mg of additional iron daily to avoid iron deficiency.
Low levels of vitamin B12 and folic acid, which is also a B vitamin leads to the iron deficiency in the body. It is important to have a good supply of vitamin B12 and folic acid in the body to avoid anaemia. Selenium deficiency is a big factor that promotes yeast growth. Selenium is also a very powerful antioxidant that will boost the immune system.
Under normal circumstances, our immune system prevents and control yeast overgrow. With a yeast infection diet, you can give your immune system a boost to eliminate overgrowth and to prevent Candida infections more efficiently.