Last Updated on
Seeing your little angels suffer is the most painful experience. Fever is a common ailment among toddlers and is very distressing. Most of the time, fever is the sign of healthy immunity and fight of the body against the bad bacteria or pathogens, but the increase in temperature is the matter of concern, not fever itself.
High temperature can be very harmful to growing kids and toddlers as their brain is still developing and high temperature for a prolonged time can break or denature important proteins. Therefore, Fever is a real matter of concern and need to be treated effectively and efficiently!
Some of the common symptoms of Fever in toddlers include:
- High Body Temperature
- Irritability or Crying
- Confused or Delirious Behaviour
- Stiff Neck
- Difficulty in breathing
- Difficulty in Sleeping
- Severe Diarrhoea
- Being Grumpy against Food
Whenever you observe some of these symptoms, you should be on your feet, as your little toddler needs your attention. You should be aware that high body temperature can be caused by a lot of physical activities or be staying in hot surroundings. In these cases, you should dress him/her lightly and give them fluids. There can be various reasons, concerned with surroundings or even healthy growth, which causes fever among toddlers.
Some of the Root Causes of Fever in Toddlers include:
- Common Cold
- ‘Teething’ causes mild fever
- Building Immunizations often results in mild fever itself
- Reaction to some Vaccination
- Viral Infections like Flu, Cold, and Measles etc.
- Bacterial Infection or Infections of skin, ear, lung, and throat
- Or even Side Effects of Certain Drugs
Most of us would not recommend giving medicines and chemicals to our growing small children, as we know about the side effects and other consequences. On one hand, where these allopathic medications will have instant results, it can be harmful on a long run, on the other. Some simple and easy to perform Home Made Remedies can be a better option. Ayurveda and our ancient cures hold the key to all these ailments and should be adopted positively.
Home Remedies, assuring sure results and betterment comprises of these basic techniques:
- Sponge Bath is the most basic, effective and easy to perform remedy. Allow your toddler to rest in comfortable water and rinse body with a sponge for 10 minutes. The Cooling effect of water results in lowering of body temperature.
- High Fever causes loss of fluid from the body, feed the toddler with enough of water, juices, mother’s milk, or electrolyte solution readily available at Medicos. This will lower the body temperature, and replenish the lost hydration.
- High Body Temperature can be disturbing and uncomfortable for toddlers compared to adults. To avoid further irritation and inconvenience, dress your child in light clothes and use a light blanket if needed. This will be an important step in comforting your toddler.
Along with these basic techniques, Home Remedies includes a wide range of solutions to fever in toddlers.
A few Effective Home Remedies for Fever in Toddlers include:
- Ginger Bath- Bath your toddler in a bathtub mixed with a couple of tablespoon of ginger powder. It will help in sweating and drain out all the impurities.
- Onions- Placing slices of Raw Onions over the feet of toddlers help in lowering body temperature effectively.
- Give Coconut oil to your child to consume to nourish the weak immune system of your child.
- Chamomile Tea with a Table Spoon of Honey can be an effective cure for Body Ache, Sore Throat or Running Nose.
- A mixture of Honey and Lemon Juice along with small amount of Ginger Powder boosts immunity of the body and help the body to fight back.
- Ginger and Mustard Oil Massage can be very soothing during the irritation and pain. Massaging your toddler with a mixture of lukewarm Mustard Oil and half the amount of Ginger will help in lowering temperature, sweating, and aids in ache.
- In India, Basil is medication to everything in one sort or another. Giving your child lukewarm water, boiled with Basil Leaves will be antibacterial and antioxidant.
These easy and effective Home Remedies will surely help against the suffering of your toddlers with no side-effects or pain. We are happy to know if you have to share any other home remedies for fever in toddlers in the comments section below.