In the wake of Coronavirus, there has been an increase in the consumption of Ayurvedic kadha and herbal immunity booster drinks in India. This made people return to the Ayurvedic medicinal culture and herbal immune-boosting kadhas to fight against Coronavirus and various other seasonal infections.
Mr. Narendra Modi, the Prime Minister has also advised people to drink homemade khadha in his various addresses to the nation. Not only this, but the Ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha, and Homoeopathy or Ayush Ministry has also prescribed kadha for corona to make disease-fighting ability strong.
Here is everything you need to know about Kadha that can help you to boost your immunity to fight against Coronavirus & other seasonal infections.
- 1 What is Kadha or Kadha Recipe?
- 1.1 What are the benefits of having Kadha Recipe or Kadha Immunity booster Drink?
- 1.2 Most Beneficial Indian Kadha Recipes
- 1.3 Homemade Immunity Booster Drink
- 1.4 What Ministry of AYUSH recommended for COVID-19?
- 1.5 Does Ayurvedic kadha work for a sore throat?
- 1.6 How to make Giloy kadha to Boost the Immune System?
- 1.7 How to make kadha for cough and cold?
- 1.8 Can Tulsi Cure Fever?
- 1.9 When Kadha Should be Taken?
- 1.10 Side Effects of Kadha
- 1.11 Can Kadha cause Acidity?
What is Kadha or Kadha Recipe?
Kadha or Kada is a traditional Ayurvedic drink prepared with a mixture of herbs and spices. It is one of the healthiest drinks to boost the immune system. The practice of making Ayurvedic kadha as an immunity booster drink to fight against various seasonal infections is almost five hundred years old. The decoction of spices and herbs is considered one of the most aging medicines invented in Ayurveda.
Kadha is prepared with ingredients such as dry spices and herbs mixed with honey. The most common ingredients in almost every kadha involve cloves, ginger, turmeric, black pepper, cardamom, basil leaves (tulsi), etc.,
What are the benefits of having Kadha Recipe or Kadha Immunity booster Drink?
Kadha is considered to be the most potent form of medicine with too many health benefits. According to Ayurvedic experts, Kadha has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties which makes it effective against flu, common cold, sore throat, cough viral fever, etc. That’s why Kadha is also known as an immunity booster drink. It is considered to be a natural home remedy for fever.
The various ingredients in kadha play a different role to fight against bacterial or viral infection. Tulsi in a kadha recipe makes it an effective healing drink that soothes the sore throat and prevents coughing. You might not know this fact, but kadha can also help in treating stones.
You might also like: 10 Easy to Get Foods for Strong Immune System
Most Beneficial Indian Kadha Recipes
After knowing a lot about khadha and its health benefits, now let’s discuss the most prevalent Indian kadha recipes that will help you in fighting against not only coronavirus but other health problems also:
The homemade tulsi kadha helps to boost immunity and improves digestion as well. It is also the best ayurvedic kadha recipe for cold or flu. You should take it 2-3 times a day for early relief from cold or flu. Nowadays, people are also considering this kadha recipe for corona, as it is recommended by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare for boosting the immune system.
Now, let’s look at the ingredients and steps to prepare this kadha :
Ingredients: 4-5 Basil (Tulsi) leaves, 1 Ginger, 3-4 Raisins, Black pepper powder (1/4 teaspoon), Cinnamon powder (1/2 Teaspoon)
Steps to prepare:
- Take two glasses of water in a pan or pot.
- Add all the ingredients with the prescribed quantity.
- Mix it well and let it boil for 15 minutes.
- Leave it for a while until it cools down and then strain it using a strainer.
Adulsa Kadha is known to be one of the excellent kadhas for the respiratory system. It acts as a bronchodilator and thus makes breathing more comfortable, especially for people with breathing problems.
It has a long-lasting effect and is mostly used to treat asthma, breathlessness, and throat infection. Apart from this, if we talk about Coronavirus, then the COVID infected patient also has to suffer from shortness of breath.
So, this kadha is also the best remedy for COVID patients. You should take this kadha ¼ cup three times a day for better results.
Ingredients: 2 teaspoon Vasa or Adulsa Powder (Adhatoda vasica), 15-20 Mint leaves, 15-20 Fresh Basil (Tulsi) Leaves, 1 Teaspoon Licorice or Jeshtimadh Powder (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Black Pepper Powder (1 teaspoon), Cinnamon Powder (1 Teaspoon), 1 Teaspoon Dry Ginger Powder or Fresh Ginger, Turmeric Powder ( ½ Teaspoon), 5 Whole Cloves, 2-3 Teaspoon Honey (Optional)
Steps to Prepare:
- Take a pan and add six glasses of water to it.
- Now add all the ingredients into the pan except honey.
- Let the mixture boil until it reduces to half or 3 cups.
- Remove it from heat and strain the mixture using a strainer.
- Now you can add honey and some saffron strands into it ( optional).
- Enjoy your hot Adulsa Kadha. You can drink it anytime in a day, or before going to bed if you have a cough or cold.
Dalchini (Cinnamon) kadha
Dalchini or Cinnamon is rich in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties. Due to its antioxidants properties, you can also consider this kadha recipe for throat infection. Also, this dalchini kadha for immunity helps diabetic patients in lowering their blood sugar levels.
Ingredients: Cinnamon powder, Water, Honey
Steps to prepare:
- Take a pot and add a cup of water into it.
- Add half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder and let it boil for some time.
- Now you can add a teaspoon of honey for taste.
Joshanda kadha is the kadha recommended by Ayush Ministry to fight against coronavirus. This kadha is one of the best home remedies for cold and fever. You can also consider this kadha for cough, nasal congestion, flu & influenza as a herbal tea. This kadha recipe is considered to be the most effective and side effects free to treat allergy and many other seasonal infections.
Ingredients: Basil Leaves (6-7 leaves), cloves (2 pieces), Black pepper(¼ tsp), Elaichi(4-5 pieces), Ginger (one inch), Honey or gudh, Ginger, Tea leaves or tea (½ tsp)
Steps to prepare :
- Take a pot and add two glasses of water to it.
- Add all the ingredients in the prescribed quantity into it.
- Let it boil for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain the kadha using a strainer.
- Let it cool down and add honey or gudh for taste.
Homemade Immunity Booster Drink
This is one of the best homemade kadha recipes for immunity. That’s why even if you are too healthy and do not fall sick easily, you should still add this drink to your daily routine. Let’s see its ingredients which makes this immunity booster kadha recipe healthier:
Basil leaves (1 teaspoon), Cardamom (1 teaspoon), Cinnamon powder (1 teaspoon), Dried ginger (1 teaspoon), Black pepper powder (1 teaspoon), Few pieces of ginger, 2-3 cups water, Honey or jaggery to taste (optional), Fresh lemon juice.
Steps to Prepare :
- Add 2-3 glasses of water to a pan and let it boil on medium flame.
- Now, add tulsi leaves into it and let it simmer for 4- 5 minutes.
- After that, add all other ingredients into the mixture and let it boil until the quantity reduces down to half.
- Once the mixture cools down, you can add honey and fresh lemon juice to it to enhance its taste.
- Now, enjoy your homemade immunity-booster drink.
These were some best and most effective Indian kadha recipes for immunity and & some other health problems. Now let’s dive into some additional information that you need to know about the traditional drink-Kadha.
What Ministry of AYUSH recommended for COVID-19?
Ministry of Ayush launched two immunity boosters – AYUSH kwath (kadha) and Giloi tea to fight against novel coronavirus. Advertisers of this immunity booster Ayush Kwath claims that the main components of this kadha include tulsi, cinnamon, dry ginger, and black pepper.
According to Acharya Manish, an Ayurvedic practitioner, AYUSH kwath works against all the symptoms of COVID. And as soon as the person starts facing the first sign of sore throat or dry cough, he should begin to consuming this kadha. Ministry of AYUSH claims that AYUSH kwath does not have any side effects, and it is the best kadha recipe for COVID19.
Does Ayurvedic kadha work for a sore throat?
Yes, you should definitely consume kadha for a sore throat. To make a kadha for sore throat, take a pot and add 2 cups of water to it. Now properly crush four cloves, two black peppercorns, a one-inch stick of cinnamon, a one-inch stick of licorice (mulethi), a one-inch piece of ginger, and five to six tulsi leaves together and add them into the pot. Let it boil till the mixture is reduced to half. You can mix a teaspoon of honey to enhance the taste of this kadha. Now serve it hot.
You can also consume this kadha for dry cough, throat infection, and fever. All these ingredients and hot water will give instant relief to your throat. Sore throat is also a common symptom in COVID patients, so you can also consider this kadha recipe to soothe your throat in COVID.
How to make Giloy kadha to Boost the Immune System?
The stem of Giloy has too many medicinal properties, and that’s why we use it to prepare Giloy ka kadha. This kadha is recommended by the Ministry of Ayush to boost the immune system during the Covid-19 pandemic. Giloy contains anti-inflammatory properties and helps to boost the immune system. Some experts say that the regular intake of Giloy kadha can also help people with diabetes to control their blood sugar levels.
Water (2 cups), Giloy stem or dry giloy powder(1 tsp), Turmeric powder (1/2 tsp), Mint leaves- (10-12), Cinnamon powder (1 tsp), Black pepper powder (1 tsp), Ginger (grated) (1/2 inch), Honey (1 1/2 tbsp).
Method to prepare:
- If you are using Giloy stem to prepare the kadha, crush it properly.
- Take a vessel and add two glasses of water into it.
- Add all other ingredients including crushed Giloy except mint leaves & honey.
- Let the ingredients boil until water reduces to half.
- Once it cools down, strain the kadha using a strainer.
- Now add mint leaves and honey to enhance the taste of this kadha.
How to make kadha for cough and cold?
This Kadha for cough & cold is a simple home remedy for all age groups. In this recipe, clove act as expectorant while tulsi, ginger, and honey exhibit their anti-inflammatory property. The hot water kills germs and also helps to soothe the throat. Ultimately, all these ingredients with hot water help to overcome cold and cough. Here are the ingredients and steps to prepare kadha for cough and cold :
Ingredients: Kumin seeds (½ teaspoon), Saunt or fennel seeds (½ teaspoon), Ajwain or Carom seeds (½ teaspoon), Ginger grated (½ teaspoon), 4-5 tulsi leaves, long or cloves (2 pieces), Black Cardomom (1 piece), Cinnamon stick (½ inch), honey (1 teaspoon), Turmeric powder (½ teaspoon), water (2 glasses).
Steps to Prepare:
- Take a pan and add two glasses of water to it.
- Turn on the flame and add all the ingredients with the prescribed quantity except honey.
- Let the mixture boil till it reduces to half.
- Now you can add honey to improve the taste of this kadha.
Can Tulsi Cure Fever?
Tulsi has healing properties that can help to reduce your fever quickly. So, yes, tulsi leaves in a kadha recipe can cure fever. Tulsi has too many medicinal, anti-inflammatory, and anti-oxidant properties. For mild fever, tulsi ka kadha is one of the best Indian home remedies.
But if you have chikungunya, dengue, or malaria, you should consult your doctor immediately. Add 1 tsp of grated ginger in your kadha or kashayam for fever for early cure. You can also consider our Indian tulsi kadha recipe (see above) to treat your fever.
Most of the ayurvedic experts say that Tulsi kadha acts as an antibiotic to treat fever. It would be best if you drink this kadha at least 2-3 times a day to cure your fever.
When Kadha Should be Taken?
Most of the Ayurvedic experts suggest that the best time to take kadha is in the early morning and empty stomach 20 minutes after brushing your teeth. You can also drink kadha in the evening as your evening drink or before having dinner. Although drinking kadha in the morning is more beneficial than consuming it in the evening.
Side Effects of Kadha
Kadha is an ayurvedic drink prepared with herbs and spices. This immunity drink mostly does not have any side effects. But if you are allergic to specific spices or herbs, it can cause different body problems.
Apart from this, if you add a high quantity of certain ingredients, it can cause the following harmful effects in your body :
- A large amount of black pepper in your immunity drink can cause a burning sensation in the food pipe.
- A large amount of ginger can cause heartburn problems.
- Consumption of kadha during fasting can cause nausea.
Can Kadha cause Acidity?
Improper or excessive intake of kadha recipe or kadha drink can cause Acidity. Basically, the ingredients used to prepare kadha such as black pepper, turmeric, cinnamon create heat in the body. This excess heat disrupts the digestion process and causes acidity and other health problems. So, if you have an acidity problem, you can consume kadha, but you should take it with a little care.